This page presents selected publications by Coralie Mills and colleagues. Where possible, links for downloadable PDFs are given. This is split by three broad subject areas, Dendrochronology, Woodland Heritage, and Environmental Archaeology/Other, with most recent publications at the top of each list.
- Mills, CM & Crone, A 2021 ‘Cruck buildings and dendrochronology in Scotland’, Vernacular Buildings 44, 129-143. PDF here: Mills and Crone 2021 VB Scottish crucks dendro
- Cook, M, Mills, C & Thoms, J 2020 Dendrochronology: Explore the science of tree ring dating. Forestry and Land Scotland.
- Mills, CM, Crone, A, Wood, C and Wilson, R 2017 ‘Dendrochronologically dated pine buildings from Scotland: The SCOT2K Native Pine Dendrochronology Project’, Vernacular Architecture 48, 23-43. PDF here
- Wilson, R, Wilson, D, Rydval, M, Crone, A, Büntgen, U, Clark, S, Ehmer, J, Forbes, E, Fuentes, M, Gunnarson, BE, Linderholm, HW, Nicolussi, K, Wood, C and Mills, C 2017 ‘Facilitating tree-ring dating of historic conifer timbers using Blue Intensity’, Journal of Archaeological Science 78, 99-111. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305440316301819
- Crone, A & Mills CM 2015 ‘List 279: dendrochronologically dated buildings from Scotland: the native oak and pine project’, in Nat Alcock & Cathy Tyers (eds) Tree-Ring Date Lists 2015, Vernacular Architecture, 46.1,125-8.
- Mills, CM 2014 A Millennium of Change: Dendrochronology in Scotland’s Built Heritage and Cultural Landscapes. Abstract of keynote historical presentation, TRACE Conference 2014, Scotland.
- Crone, A & Mills, CM 2012 ‘Timber in Scottish Buildings 1450-1800; a dendrochronological perspective‘, PSAS 142 (2012), 329-369.
- Mills, CM & Crone, A 2012 ‘Dendrochronological evidence for Scotland’s native timber resources over the last 1000 years‘, Scottish Forestry 66 (1), 18-33.
- Crone, A & Mills, CM 2011 ‘The native oak and pine project; some observations on timber and woodworking in Scottish buildings circa AD 1600-1800‘, Vernacular Building 34, 19-42.
- Wilson, R, Loader, N, Rydval, M, Paton, H, Frith, A, Mills, C, Crone, A, Edwards, C, Larsson, L & Gunnarson, B. 2011 ‘Reconstructing Holocene climate from tree rings – the potential for a long chronology from the Scottish Highlands.‘ The Holocene. 22 (1): 3-11. DOI: 10.1177/0959683611405237.
- Mills, C M 2010 A dendrochronological analysis at Rassal Ashwood NNR, Wester Ross. Executive summary of report for Forest Research and SNH.
- Mills, C M 2010 A dendrochronological analysis of living trees at South Loch Rannoch, Perthshire. Executive summary of report for The Woodland Trust Scotland.
- Fish, T, Wilson, R, Edwards, C, Mills, C, Crone, A, Kirchhefer, AJ, Linderholm, L, Loader, NJ and Woodley, E 2010 ‘Exploring for senescence signals in native Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris L.) in the Scottish Highlands‘, Forest Ecology and Management 260, 321–330.
- Mills, C M 2008 Historic pine and dendrochronology in Scotland, Scottish Woodland History Discussion Group: Notes XIII (2008), 9-14.
- Crone, A & Mills, C M 2003 ‘Dendrochronologically dated buildings from Scotland’, Vernacular Architecture 34, 84-89
- Crone, BA & Mills, CM 2002 ‘Seeing the wood and the trees; dendrochronological studies in Scotland‘, Antiquity 76, 788-94.
- Mills, C M 2000 Dendrochronology of oak timbers from historic buildings in St Andrews, Tayside and Fife Archaeological Journal 6 (2000), 201-10.
- Crone, A & Mills, C 1994 ‘A tree-ring database for Scotland’, Glasgow Archaeological Society Bulletin 32, 8-9.
- Mills, C M 1992 `Dating short tree-ring sequences: An evaluation of three statistical procedures’, in O Eggertson (ed), Tree-Rings and Environment, Sweden: Lund University, Department of Quaternary Geology, 225-229. (=Proceedings of the International Dendrochronological Symposium, Ystad, south Sweden, 3-9 September 1990, Lundqua Report 34. ISSN 0281-3076.
- Mills, CM 1988 `Dendrochronology: The long and the short of it’, in E A Slater and J O Tate (eds), Science and Archaeology, Glasgow 1987, BAR British Series 196, 549-565. ISBN 0860545814.
- Mills, C M 1988 Dendrochronology in Exeter and its application. Summary of PhD thesis, University of Sheffield.
WOODLAND HERITAGE / ARCHAEOLOGY
- Mills, CM 2020 ‘Our Scottish Woodland Heritage’, Archaeology Scotland Magazine 39, 8-12. ISSN 2041-7039. PDF here: AS_Winter2020_proof
- Mills, C, Brown, G and Rocks-Macqueen, D 2017 Guidelines for the stewardship of heritage assets in forestry management. Landward Research Ltd obo South Downs National Park Authority. ISBN 978-0-9572452-2-8. PDF here: Guidelines_for_the_stewardship_of_heritage assets under forestry management 2017
- Quelch, P & Mills, CM 2016 ‘Planting phases in Balgownie Wood, Fife: Evidence from Historic Woodland Survey’, in Mills CM (ed.) Plantations in Scotland, NWDG Scottish Woodland History Conference XVIII (2013), 9-17. (PDF available from NWDG website www.nwdg.org.uk in the History archive section).
- Quelch, P 2010 ‘Upland wood pastures’. Landscape Archaeology and Ecology 8, 172-177 (End of Tradition Conference Proceedings, Part 2).
- Mills, C M, Quelch, P & Stewart, M 2009 Tree forms, tree-rings and documented history around Bealach nam Bo, Loch Katrine. Executive summary of report for Forestry Commission.
ENVIRONMENTAL ARCHAEOLOGY & OTHER SUBJECTS
- Mills, CM, Armit, I, Edwards, K J, Grinter, P & Mulder, Y 2004 ‘Neolithic land-use and environmental degradation: a study from the Western Isles of Scotland’, Antiquity 78, 886-895.
- Rees, T & Mills, C 1999 Bracken and archaeology: Technical Advice Note 17. Edinburgh: Historic Scotland. ISBN 1-900168-618.
- Mills, C M & Coles, G (eds) 1998 On the edge: human settlement and marginality. Oxbow Monograph 100. Oxford: Oxbow Books (Association for Environmental Archaeology Symposia 13). 187pp. ISBN 1-900188-57-0.
- Mills, CM 1997 `Environmental studies: introduction to the research programme’, in S T Driscoll & P A Yeoman, Excavations within Edinburgh Castle in 1988-91. Society of Antiquaries of Scotland Monograph Series 12, 190-191. ISBN 0-903903-12-1.
- Mills, CM 1996 ‘The charcoal’ in Ewart, G & Triscott, J ‘Archaeological excavations at Castle Sween, Knapdale, Argyll & Bute, 1989-90’ Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 126, 517-557.
- Mills, CM 1995 ‘Vegetation survey report’ in J S Rideout ‘Carn Dubh, Moulin, Perthshire: survey and excavation of an archaeological landscape 1987-90’, Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 125, 139-195 & Fiche 2: A4-C5.
- Mills, C M, Crone, A, Edwards, K J & Whittington, G 1994 `The excavation and environmental investigation of a sub-peat stone bank near Loch Portain, North Uist, Outer Hebrides’ Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland 124, 155-171.
- Connock, K C, Finlayson, B F & Mills, C M 1993 `Excavation of a shell midden site at Carding Mill Bay, near Oban, Scotland’, Glasgow Archaeological Journal 17.
- Hunt, CO, Gilbertson, DD, Donahue, RE, Harkness, DD & Mills, CM 1992 `Towards a palaeoecology of the Medieval and Post-Medieval landscape of Tuscany’, in M Bernardi (ed), Archaeologia del Paesaggio, Firenze: Edizioni all’Insegna del Giglio, 205-248. (=IV Ciclo di Lezioni sulla ricerca applicata in archaeologia, Certosa di Pontignano, Siena, 14-26 January 1991).
- Gilbertson, DD, Hawkins, AB, Mills, CM, Harkness, DD & Hunt, C O 1990 `The Late Devensian and Holocene of industrial Severnside and the Vale of Gordano: Stratigraphy, radiocarbon dating and palaeoecology’, Proceedings of the Ussher Society 7 (3), 281-286.
Copyright: © Coralie Mills and the other contributors, 2021. The right of the contributors to be identified as the authors of these works has been asserted, and the authors and reports must be fully referenced when these works are quoted, copied or disseminated.